The mechanic is responsible to maintain and repair ambulances and support vehicles and to provide support for shop including picking up and dropping off vehicles. Under the general supervision and direction of the Lead Mechanic.
- Basic knowledge of methods and techniques used in maintaining and repairing ambulances and support vehicles.
- Basic knowledge of the theory, operation, and maintenance of internal combustion engines, transmissions, fuel injection, as well as other related systems in ambulances and support vehicles.
- Basic knowledge of techniques and methods used in the repair and maintenance of ambulances and support vehicles.
- Basic knowledge of occupational hazards and preventative safety measures.
- Basic knowledge of the tools and equipment used in the servicing of ambulances and support vehicles.
- Interface with all SLA divisions and outside vendors.
- Inspects, diagnoses, and repairs ambulance and support vehicle systems, as well as other emergency equipment.
- Ability to read and understand shop manuals and technical specifications, to use computerized tools and advanced diagnostic equipment, to analyze the data retrieved using such tools, and to detect, analyze, and take the appropriate repair action.
- Maintenance of gasoline and diesel engines, transmissions, air conditioning, electrical and other vehicle systems.
- Repairs or replaces worn and/or defective parts.
- Installs, services and repairs emergency equipment on the ambulances and support vehicles such as sirens and emergency lighting systems.
- Performs services and repairs out of the shop, as needed.
- Road tests vehicles before and after repairs.
- Completes a job sheet on every vehicle repaired and/or serviced.
- Uses and maintains records, reports and service logs.
- Maintains parts inventory.
- Keeps tools, repair equipment, and shop area clean and orderly.
- Repair and maintain ambulance gurneys.
- Supporting role for other mechanics currently in shop along with picking up and dropping off vehicles, when needed
- Perform other duties as assigned by Lead Mechanic, Field Supervisors, Vice President Operations, General Manager, Operations Director, President, and CEO.